Saturday, November 10, 2012

Buddhism and politics

 

Question : (Unedited)

Hello,

I'm a college freshman doing a project for my world religion class, and it would be extremely helpful if you could answer some questions to the best of your ability.

In my class, we've talked briefly on the subject of worldviews and how the ideals of a certain religion influence its believers in aspects of normal life.  That said, in the context of Buddhism, what would be a buddhist's opinion of democracy, egalitarianism, or America's processes in general?  Do some of its practices clash with those of Buddhism?  What sort of criticisms would a buddhist likely have with America's operations?

Any answers to those questions is, again, greatly appreciated, and I apologize in advance if I said something in an offensive or ill-informed way.  Once again, thanks.
  
My comment:


Hi R,

Thank you for asking me.

Buddhist perspective on the conduct of worldly affairs reflects on the universal teachings of the Buddha.  "Universal" means applicable to all irrespective of belief or nationality.  Universal values such as honesty, compassion, non-violence and respect for life are universal ideals.  The freedom to form opinions and the freedom to be anaytical are also Buddhist ideals.  Any political dictate that goes against these ideals would mean going against Buddhist values.

“ What sort of criticisms would a buddhist likely to have on America's operations? “
I don't think there is a standard answer for all Buddhists.  But if you ask me, personally I would say the USA should stop behaving like a "Big Brother" because the world does not belong to it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails