Saturday, November 26, 2011

Middle way in simple language




Question : (Unedited)
please explain the middle way in clear simple sentences

My comment:
Hi T,
The Buddha's teachings are very practical and down to earth and are meant for everyone. It is so because it is based on universal truth that transcends race, nationality, location, space and time. He preached kindness and compassion based on universal truth. He was not interested to convert anyone. He just emphasized that we must avoid committing evil deeds because we, ourselves, are very fearful that others may hurt us. On this premise alone we can just use our common sense and fair judgement that it is not fair to hurt others. We must have this human dignity to conduct our lives in this dignified manner.

On the other hand, we always wish that all good and happy things come our way. Knowing that, it is also fair that others should be given a fair chance to enjoy good and happy lives.

Do we need any more creed, commandment, or threat in order to live in a civilized manner? It is only when others demand that we must believe in their dogmas or else hell will befall them, that the world is in trouble.

As a practising Buddhist, I just have to live my life guided by the 5 precepts, which I repeat here:
1)Refrain from killing
2)Refrain from stealing
3)Refrain from sexual misconduct
4)Refrain from telling lies
5)Refrain from taking intoxicating things
The Buddha advised us to keep these 5 precepts to the best of our ability, and we will be able to live in peace with ourselves. What others do, or do not do, is their business. We cannot change the whole world. But we can change our lives if we want to.

Our life's trilogy is this:
I want
I don't want
I don't know

If I get what I want I will be very happy. The more I get the more I want; I become greedy.

I don't want things that give me sorrow. If I get things that I don't want, I become very angry. The more bad things I get, the angrier I become, the more hateful I become.

I am subject to such uncontrolled reactions because of "I don't know". I don't know the true nature of this world and this life. Because of this ignorance, the vicious cycle goes round and round. I get greedy, I get angry, because of my ignorance in life. Our lives revolve around this trilogy of human tragedy.

Unless we change our mind-set, we will suffer through our own ignorance and stupidity. The whole world is such.

The Buddha's message is very simple: Reduce our greed, reduce our hatred, reduce our ignorance by realizing the message of the Buddha. Then we will have inner peace and happiness.

This is the "Middle Way".

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails