Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Easy way out (Part 1 of 2)


Beautiful picture from blogger CK Hon)


Question:(Unedited)

Hi there.

this is rather an odd question but I need to get out of my puzzle and need to start from somewhere. i will try to make this as clear as possible by listing my concerns so that you don't get lost while you are trying to completely understand what is it that I am asking or talking about.

I reside in the USA as an International Student and I just started my Masters Program after completing my BA.

In my home country, I have to serve in the army unless i have legitimate reasons such as being a student or being employed. By this way, they would simply postpone my service but not exempt me permanently.

I neither want to be employed nor want to continue my studies. However, I do want to devote myself to live like a true monk and stop the cycle of re-birth and suffering if I can.

If I go back home, I will have to serve in the army and I don't want that.

Do you think there are temples in USA or in any country that would accept me and deal with my situation?

Forgive me if you think my question is odd and not possible for you to answer.

All I can tell you is I have been studying buddhism for a while now and I am ready to leave the materialistic life for good, stop my desires and free my mind.

If you think you can help me or re-direct me, I would very grateful.

Peace...


My comment:

Hi,

Thank you for asking me, but I think you're not going to be too happy with my answer.

You seems to be taking the easy way out, by not wanting to work or to study. Then why are you still studying? What about your people back home who supported you through your studies? Do you think about their feelings? What's so difficult to serve in the army, just for a short period? How much do you know about Buddhism for you to decide to be a monk?

Now my friend, if you can answer all the above questions you will be a free man.

Smile from justinchoo :-)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails