Thursday, August 19, 2010

Agganna Sutta


Question : (Unedited)
Dear justinchoo,
    hello,its me again,I have just read the agganna sutta
and personally I don't think it shouid be taken literally.I
would like to know what is the orthodox view regarding the sutta.thanks!

Hi P...,

Actually, the different tenses used have baffled me.  This sutta is usually quoted to explain the evolution of the world and how beings first appeared and evolved through a very very long period of time.  The orthodox view, I suppose, is to interpret it in a broader perspective while retaining the evolution thesis.  (This is my personal opinion.)

I always have difficulties in reading and understanding the suttas.  The continual repetitions and difficult terms make it a very tedious exercise.  Personally, I make it very simple by just practising the Buddha's simple advice, that is, avoid doing evil, do good, and purify the mind.  Very simple instruction in very simple English.

Smile from justinchoo :-)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails