Friday, December 24, 2010

What is in an image?


Question : (Unedited)
Hi
I recently purchased a Buddha figurine.This one was the fertility/child protection model.
I am Christian not Buddhist,I just thought it looked cool.
The night after I got it,I looked at it before I went to bed and silently asked it to look after my two teenage children,who were both out.
That night,my son was involved in a car accident.He was unhurt,but are car was totaled.
Is this Gods way of saying 'put your faith in Jesus not Buddha? Or just a coincidence?
Either way,I gave the statue away.
Thoughts?

My comment:
Hi B...,

Thank you for asking me.

There are lots of "Buddha" figurines in the market.  There are also lots of names given to them; and also lots of claims of whatever you want to believe.  

A proper Buddha figurine will only represent the historical Buddha.  It is just a symbolic representation of the Buddha.  Being a holy representation, it evokes an aura of mysticism and power.  It is in the mind of the people to turn it into whatever they want to believe out of fear and ignorance.

Depending on which way you want to interpret.  You may thank the "Buddha" figurine that it had saved your children's lives!!  Or you may curse it for causing the accident!!  See, it's all in your mind. You have the freedom to use your intelligence and common sense to interpret.  That would be the advice of a Buddhist.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails