Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A friendly monk


Bhante Kovida

Today a friendly monk emailed me. As I have a big ego I was delighted! Bhante Kovida first emailed me a few months ago following his conversation with Rev Dhammika in Singapore. I don't really know Bhante Kovida, but his unassuming messages put me at ease. From his biodata, he is into yoga and chi gong as well. I also practise yoga and chi gong. So you see!!

Looking forward to meet the Reverend when he comes to Penang again. Here is something about Bhante Kovida. You can read the full text from his website HERE:


[ Bhante Kovida grew up on the tropical island of Jamaica, West Indies, of Chinese descent. He immigrated to Canada, studied for a science degree, then traveled overland from Europe to India and Nepal (via Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, and Pakistan) during 1974-1975, where he began the study of Indian history and culture, Hatha Yoga and meditation, classical Indian music, and Buddhism. This journey was to be the most significant event in his life as it fulfilled a deep childhood yearning for travel and adventure, and spiritual understanding.

Bhante Kovida left Sri Lanka towards the end of 1993 and began traveling and sharing the Dharma in the Toronto area with occasional visits to Hamilton, Ottawa, Halifax and Vancouver. He has also visited inmates at Warkworth Correctional Center near Campbelford, Ontario, AIDS patients at the Casey House hospice in Toronto for a period.

Every two years or so, Bhante Kovida returns to Southeast Asia to visit friends and teach the Dharma, as well as Hatha Yoga and Chi Gong exercises at several Buddhist Associations and Dharma centers in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan and Hong Kong. ]

I have included Bhante's website in my blogroll "My Favourite Buddhist Sites". Please take a look if you are interested. You can read his two books there as well.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails