Saturday, May 15, 2010

It's all in the mind. (Part 2 of 2)


Question : (Unedited)
Hello again Justin, thanks for your prompt reply. So, when I'm chanting mantra, what should my mind try to focus on? Should I try to visualise the image of Buddha, or someone I'm praying for, or the mantra itself? I find that at times, my mind can just wander to other thoughts and get out of focus, if I don't try to concentrate on a certain thing, say, a wish or prayer or person I'm praying for. I guess I'm not sure what the "correct" way is (if there's one). Thanks!

p/s. Btw, I like your quote at the end of the message.


My comment:
Hi J,


The "correct way" is one which you feel comfortable with.  I suppose when one is chanting mantra, one's objectives are to train the mind to be calm and alert, and to reduce wandering thoughts.  If you can achieve these objectives, I suppose one is practising the "correct" way.

I think one should not be too concerned over chanting of mantras, but to concentrate on reducing one’s defilements of greed, hatred and delusion.  By practising these practical aspects of Buddhism, one will experience inner peace and happiness.

(Footnote : p/s. Btw, I like your quote at the end of the message.)
The Quote is:   
Learn from yesterday
Live for today
Save for tomorrow



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails