Thursday, November 20, 2008

Stressed out


http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenilio/386282602/


Question:(unedited) (This person is a regular visitor and is a paramedic)

Hello Justin.

This time I have something different on my mind besides a question. I was involved in a bit of an accident at work. I crashed the ambulance into a building (nobody was injured). But I am in a bit of trouble with my supervisors etc. I find myself very stressed about this situation, and have been unable to meditate for about a week now. My mind just cannot settle down. Are there any particular passages from buddha's teachings that I could find some comfort in?

Thank you very much my friend.



My Comment:
Hi G...,


The solution is not to find some magic quotations from the Buddha's sayings. The right approach is to find the pertinent teachings of the Buddha to resolve your problems. You are in a very unique situation where you are confronted with the true nature of life; the realities of life unfolding in front of you everyday when you are whizzing through the traffic, siren and all.


This is the reality of life. Life is full of dangers and uncertainties. Anything can happen to us irrespective of our colour, our belief, our age, our size, our position in society, rich or poor, and everything else! No one is in charge in this world except the workings of kamma. Once you can realize this fact of DUKKHA you will be able to accept what comes in life. Your problem will gradually dissipate once you accept that which is inevitable and natural in this unpredictable world. We must ride with the waves of life, like the skilful surfer.


As for your meditation, don't force yourself to do things that you have difficulty with. The more you fight, the more tense you become. Take a break from the meditation session. When you become more relaxed, you can still continue with the practice. You have plenty of time.

Remember, we are all going through the journey; we have not reached our destination yet.


If you still insist of finding a passage which will help you, refer to verses 1&2 of the Dhammapada:


"Mind precedes all mental states; mind is the root; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts, suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox."

"Mind precedes all mental states; mind is the root; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts, happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow."


Have peace, my friend!


Smile from justinchoo :-)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails