Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Natural Disasters and Kamma (Question)


Myanmar Cyclone Nargis, May 5th, 2008
http://www.flickr.com/photos/azmil77/2468191694/




Earthquake
Dujiangyan, Sichuan, China, May 18th, 2008.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickkozak/2501513097/

The recent two consecutive disasters of enomous proportions have prompted people to ask why? Is this kamma? Or are they acts of God? Certainly there are as many answers as there types of cheese, or in local jargon, as there are varieties of durians!

After the 2004 tsunami, someone asked this question (unedited):
[Hello... I am a Buddhist originally from Sri Lanka. I have been living in overseas for the past 7 years. During the recent tsunami disaster I felt quite helpless as people were dying and suffering. I'm only a student and I don't have money to travel to the affected areas and also my education commitments make it hard to travel. I was wondering what steps I can take as a buddhist to help the victims. I have done "metta" meditation and prayers but I guess input from someone experienced would be good. Thank you.]

What is your answer? To-morrow I shall share with you my comment. As an added bonus(es) I shall also provide links to two authoritative comments by two very learned monks.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails