Saturday, June 7, 2008

Little dust in our eyes. (Question)


http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyhedgie/2277918868/





Depending on how you interprete; "little dust in our eyes" can have two opposing meanings! We can say we can't see clearly because we have little dust in our eyes. So we have to wash off those dust to have a clear vision. On the other hand, we may mean that since we only have very little dust in our eyes, we can at least see a bit. It's just like the glass with half-filled water. Is it half-full, or is it half-empty? The choice is up to the person. He won't be wrong either. The difference is in the reasoning. With little dusts in our eyes, can we comprehend the sublime teachings of the Buddha?






Someone shared this thought: (unedited)







[Hi Justin, Thanks so much for your time. I've lookeda t buddhism alot recently and i understand that buddhists don't believe in God but i ran into this online.................Though the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta is considered to be the first sermon the Buddha gave after his enlightenment, I sometimes like to think that he gave his first sermon when he met an ascetic on the way to Varanasi. After his enlightenment in Bodh Gaya, the Buddha thought: "This is such a subtle teaching. I cannot possibly convey in words what I have discovered so I will not teach. I will just sit under the Bodhi tree for the rest of my life." For me this is a very tempting idea, just to go off and live alone and not have to deal with the problems of society. However, while the Buddha was thinking this way, Brahma Sahampati, the creator deity in Hinduism, came to the Buddha and convinced him that he should go and teach. Brahma Sahampati persuaded the Buddha that there were beings who would understand, beings who had only a little dust in their eyes. So the Buddha's teaching was aimed toward those with only a little dust in their eyes - I'm sure he did not think it would become a mass, popular movement. After Brahma Sahampati's visit, the Buddha was on his way from Bodh Gaya to Varanasi when he met an ascetic who was impressed by his radiant appearance. The ascetic said, "What is it that you have discovered?" and the Buddha responded: "I am the perfectly enlightened one, the Arahant, the Buddha."................................................................Anyway????? I don't really understand. http://www.buddhanet.net/4noble.htm Thats the website if you want to check it out. Thanks again, ]






Hope that the dust can clear up to-morrow to make my comment. In the meantime , excuse me, I'm going to wash my face!!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails